What is ICON?
And what’s in a name?
- A name sets a specific tone.
- A name gives direction to what you’re trying to achieve.
- A name gives identity to those who use it.
Therefore, it is important for the student ministry at Pine Terrace Baptist Church to have a name that is as unique as the people who will use it. The youth ministry at Pine Terrace Baptist Church will use the name ICON, and we would like to share with you why we chose this name.
There is something to be said about utilizing a Biblical theme or word from Scripture in the name of a ministry. This is where we find the word ICON. Icon is the English form of a Greek word (εἰκων [eikōn]) that Paul loved to use when referring to who we are in Christ. It carries this idea of image. The image which we bear is specific. It is the image of God. He utilizes it heavily in his letter to the Colossians in the New Testament.
- Paul calls Jesus the perfect ICON that has come from God to have authority over all things. He states in Colossians 1:15, “He is the image (ICON) of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.”
- Paul sees Jesus as the perfect image of God. The only person to have ever lived this life free from sin as God intended.
- Paul calls us sinful and distorted ICONs (images) to be renewed. In chapter 3 of Colossians, he says of us, “and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.” All of us have sinned and have fallen short of God.
- Paul, in calling us ICONs, is thinking back to Genesis when God said, “So God created man in his own image (ICON), in the image (ICON) of God he created him; male and female he created them.” So we, just like Jesus, were created to be the perfect ICONS of God. That is to carry and bear his image. However, unlike Jesus, we have all sinned. We are broken ICONs that need to be restored and renewed. Jesus is the only one who can restore us back to the ICON (image) of God.
- ICON Student Ministry is a ministry that is about people who are broken and need the saving and restoring power of Jesus Christ. We may all be at different points in our journey towards restoration (it is a life long journey), but we all have one thing in common. We need Jesus. So when you see the word ICON. We want you to think about the word image. ICON is a ministry of helping people find the image of God in their life and to become more conformed to it. However, there is an adversary that wants to keep our students from seeing the image in which they were created. Paul says in 2 Corinthians 4:4, “the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.” Satan does not want your student to see the ICON.
This is our challenge. We need to partner together to fight for the minds and hearts of our students. Our students need to know that they were born as ICONs of God. Our students need to know that broken ICONs can be made new.
The goal of Icon Student Ministry is to lead students into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ.